Saturday, April 22, 2017

Convention Finds

Last week I was able to attend the Scrapbook Convention not to far away and I found some goodies I have been wanting to give a try.

First up is the Colorburst, it is powder color that when blended with water gives you a watercolor effect.  Mostly people use them for backgrounds and that is what I intended on doing but while at the convention I saw a demo a guy was doing where he used a palate to mix his powders with water and then used a paint brush to add the color onto his stamp, I loved the look so that made me want them even more :)

I have also been eyeing the penny black stamps that have a watercolor look to them and decided on this stamp, I didn't want to buy more just in case I couldn't do it.  Well my first try was a total disaster and no I won't be showing that one, yea it was that bad.

This is my second attempt and I think it went much better.  I used Peony and Wisteria colorburst for the flower and for the stem I used my Aqua markers in tan and sepia (didn't have any browns in the colorburst set I bought. I used tumbled glass distress ink with a paint brush for the background.



Penny Black -- Effulgent stamp
Colorburst - Peony & Wisteria
Spectrum Aqua marker -- stem
Distress ink -- Tumbled glass for background
Penny Black - Sprinkles and smiles sentiment set


For my third try I thought I would try to combine Naples yellow and Marigold colorburst.  Distress linen ink for the background. I will say I wasn't as happy with my results on this one but thought it was ok for a card.



Penny Black -- Effulgent stamp
Colorburst -- Naples yellow & marigold
Distress ink -- Antique linen (background)
Spectrum Aqua markers-- Sepia and Tan
Taylored Expressions -- Care & comfort sentiment set

I haven't had a chance to play with these for background.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and letting me know that you have.

Connie

20 comments:

Daniela said...

What a gorgeousness, Dearest Connie !!!

With sincere thankfulness I'm sending blessings on your the end of your week,
may it be filled with joy and wonder

XOXO Dany

Hussena said...

Gorgeous cards, Connie. Love the water coloring! Hope you have a great weekend :)

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Both of those color combinations look great! I think I love the orange! I am a big fan of orange flowers.

Esther Asbury said...

Oh how lovely!! I just recently purchased some colorburst and have enjoyed using them (My card from yesterday uses them for both the background and butterfly wings!) I love how you painted with them......such bright and beautiful cards!

Unknown said...

A whole convention??? WOW! Lucky you! lol I have heard and seen all about the color bursts.....they look amazing! Gorgeous cards! I love the stamps, these are really beautiful!

April said...

These are beautiful, Connie! I have been making more backgrounds with my Color Bursts, so I will have to try painting with them.

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

Hi Connie, I love how they turned out. A convention...that sounds exciting. I bet you had a great time. Have a wonderful weekend!

Darlene said...

These are GORGEOUS! I love my colorburst colors and like you said, I use them mostly for backgrounds but I LOVE what you've done here and will be giving it a try first chance I get! You did a beautiful job on both cards and I bet the first one wasn't as bad as you say! LOL
We have Adventures in Stamping coming to Akron next weekend and I have a couple of friends coming from out of town to join in the fun (now you know why I sell my cards! LOL). Thanks for awesome inspiration and so glad you had a good time at your show!!!

Debbie said...

really gorgeous cards and sentiment!!! pretty colors you have chosen connie, have a wonderful weekend!!!

Janice said...

Beautiful cards - both of them! Not heard of this technique before here, so will be looking online!

Leslie Miller said...

Amazing that you did this with Color Bursts! I've never seen them used this way, but I love it! Beautiful blend of colors. Practice makes perfect, and you did some very good practicing. This Penny Black stamp is so gorgeous.

Beth Norman said...

Love your beautiful cards. I've never throught to use my Colorbursts this way. Must give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Connie, your convention sounds like so much fun! You were very wise with your purchases. I'm a bit of an impulse shopper at those kinds of things. LOVE love your cards! They are beautiful and I wouldn't be surprised if their recipients frame them. I know I would!

Susan aka rainy said...

Oh my goodness, Connie!! These are both absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Oh looks like all the folks are drooling with me over your convention, to which you've been,Connie.
I love your cards and confess this stamp is on my wish list. I saw it when it came out as follow Heather Telford's blog and she showcased the new release. Bad for the pocket to pop around blogs 😉But fun!!
Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, I love these Connie. I think they turned out just fine... lovely colors... and that image is very pretty!

Donna Ellis said...

I always admire that you're constantly trying new techniques and styles, Connie. They are all beautiful! Lovely colors and wonderful shading. Fantastic artistry! Hugs, de

Lowcarb team member said...

Great to go along to the Scrapbook Convention, I'm sure places like that are just so good to see and share ideas.

I like these two cards and their more delicate feel, the colours work so well together too.

I hope you've had a lovely weekend, we've enjoyed some sunshine in my part of the UK today ... gorgeous.

All the best Jan

Linda Carson said...

Wow Connie! Both cards look fabulous! Color Burst are so vibrant! I've tried backgrounds but not direct to stamp. These are great inspiration to give it a try!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

These are stunning!! Love the colors too!! Thanks so much for always taking time out of your busy day to visit!!
Hugs,
Deb